(Un)Tranquil Evening

Sunday, November 10, 2013


It was a lazy Sunday afternoon. I was working on my literature thesis and I thought I needed some refreshing. I looked horrible. My hair was tied in a super messy bundle and my face was disgustingly oily. I texted my friend, Ivana, and told her to come over to my place. We chatted while I packed a huge pile of my read novels and unused books. Turned out that reorganizing your stuffs can bring a hint of freshness inside the room.

Satisfied with the new, refreshing atmosphere inside my haven, Ivana and I decided to hang out in a cozy restaurant-park in Ambarawa city. It was a 20-minute drive. Upon entering Ambarawa, we turned left to the northern (I guess) ring-road. On the sides of the road are immense ricefields -soo green and soothing.

Then we saw the entrance to the restaurant. The road splits into two and the one leading to the restaurant is just on the left. A big greyish gate welcomed us. Once again we passed through a huge ricefield, showing off their greens. At the end of the road is a post on the left where we paid the entrance fee, Rp. 5,000,- for cars. It's weird. Since the post is on the left, it was difficult for me to pay and communicate with the security.

Anyway, we turned right and immediately saw a spacious area. The area is divided into two main scenery. The first that we went was the floating restaurant, "Rumah Makan Apung Kampoeng Rawa"

To get to the restaurant, we have to cross the man-made pond using a roofed wooden raft that can carry up to eight people. The raft is secured by two ropes that function as a pulling mechanism. These rafts are able to float because of the blue plastic barrels supporting each raft.

Though it is clear how many people are able to get onto the raft, many just don't care anyway. I saw about 12-14 people getting on. I was just praying the raft won't overturn. The funniest thing was when one really fat guy got onto the raft that was already filled up with 10 people; the raft was jolted backward and the shocked look on everyone's faces was just priceless. HAHA! Then all the way through the 10-meter ride, the raft leaned backward... as if it was about to take off the water. What a view...




























The restaurant, as you can see, looks traditional.. It is also sustained by a foundation of blue plastic barrels.
(The photo was taken when Ivana and I rode the raft heading to the restaurant.)

As I stepped my right foot onto the wooden floor, and was warmly welcomed by the waiters, I felt like I was a little jiggling. I thought it was the after-effect of the short raft-ride. However, the rocking continued even after Ivana and I were seated. It turned out that the restaurant sways because there isn't any firm foundation to the ground below. Soo, beware, this restaurant is not recommended for those suffering from severe vertigo or migraine because this restaurant rocks and jiggle all the way and gets even worse when there are people walking.

We ordered fried banana and stuffed tofu. I would recommend the tofu. My first bite was a mess. Turns out it is (too) generously filled with carrots, snaps, diced-chicken, and mini-shrimps. It's rich in flavor though.  We both thought that this place is just a perfect get-away until we heard the music surrounding the place. The restaurant put on some dangdut koplo pieces. Dangdut is an original genre from Indonesia, with great songs. However, dangdut koplo is another thing. It is often considered cheap and uneducated.

We were quite disturbed with the lyrics -but we couldn't help not listening to it. The lyrics are mostly sexist and sexual, and the video was showing an indecently dressed women, dancing seductively, showing off their curves too much. I wonder for what purpose is this genre for. Marx said that a work of art brings about societal issues but why does dangdut koplo present mostly sexual issues? Do the audience have issues on their sexual life?

When I asked those questions, Ivana said that dangdut koplo is a cheap entertainment, usually enjoyed by the male peasants as an easy way for men to get excited without spending too much money. Then I remembered a sermon where the priest said that men is usually weak on the eye. So I think, these singers are regarded because of their physical appearance and partly, their singing ability. Such a shame for such beautiful voices..

Well, we've strayed too far, fella. Anyway, what Ivana and I thought would be a tranquil evening was totally disrupted by the presence of dangdut koplo. I wonder if the restaurant expects its customer to be the audience of dangdut koplo. I remembered a lecture my friend Patty shared with me on room ambience for business that for restaurants, building atmosphere through music will determine who comes to your place and how much you charge for your products.







Despite the music, this place is a great place for family and for your own getaway. For those who are fond of fishing, you can go to the other main site which offers you fishing ponds and small cubicles to enjoy your cooked fishes.







And so we ended our sunday get-away with a discussion on dangdut koplo. We come to a conclusion that sexuality is always a societal issue regardless the social class. What differs is the attitude in projecting our thoughts regarding the issue and the moral standard used in dealing with these. Though what contains is similar.

Just a little heartily remark, I love hanging out and having discussion with Ivana. She is such a fun and open-minded woman :) You would know her better through -> http://ivanaamelliabudi.blogspot.com/



So here's our smiles captured together. Although we often met each other, this is the second time we took picture of ourselves (the first was in Jogja)

So there goes our (un)tranquil sunday evening get-away!

0 comments: